Wednesday 18 May 2011

week10- networking


Blog 10
This week’s reading was really hard for me to engage with. Not only have I never used or seen myspace but the amount of loyalty I have to a show is watching it occasionally on television. I especially am not a fan of fictional characters and I find the example of the Gilmore girls myspace page weird and slightly disturbing. However, I did find it interesting because of the fact I found it so peculiar that people would engage in such senseless activities like fan fiction.

The fact producers encode messages that we the consumers then decode (Booth 2008) is not a revelation. Though it is interesting (especially on a psychological level) that fans decode messages and create their own meaning and even discuss these meaning with other fans on multiple platforms (facebook, myspace, twitter, blogs, conventions etc). It is fans that have not necessarily created but defiantly are the masters of trans-media story telling.

References 

Booth, P, (2008), ‘Rereading Fandom: MySpace Character Personas and Narrative Identification’, Critical Studies in Media Communication. Vol. 25, No. 5, pp 514 – 536

No comments:

Post a Comment